Ask The Expert: Converting to a Roth

Asked by Tasha 6/19/12

Can a 401K be rolled over into a Roth IRA?

Matthew Malone A:
Answered by Matthew Malone 8/2/12
See other answers from this expert.
267 out of 267 people found this useful.

Hi Tasha,

Yes, assuming you meet the Roth eligibility criteria. It’s technically called a “conversion,” but it’s the same idea as a rollover. The main thing to consider is that you’ll have to pay income taxes that year on any amount you convert to the Roth, since Roth’s can only be funded with “after tax” money. Make sure you can handle the tax bill before converting. Regards, Matt Malone, managing editor, RothIRA.com


Leave a Reply