Ask The Expert

Q: When the IRS says you can contribute an additional amount to a Roth IRA once you turn 50, do they mean as long as you turn 50 by Dec 31?
See other answers from this expert. 178 out of 342 people found this useful.

Yes, for the purposes of the increased contribution limit, you need to turn 50 at any time during the calendar year you intend to make the contribution.

Was this answer useful?

Important Roth Information

Each year, the IRS updates the rules for Roth IRA. Here are all the details for 2015 along with updates for 2016: